So Tuesday morning I woke up to Tanner making a weezing sound and breathing pretty heavy. So I called Jason and we decided I would just go ahead and try to get an appointment with his doctor. Sure enough they had an opening at 11:00am. So my plan was to take him to the doctor, take him to the sitter and head to school!
So I get in the room and right away the P.A. said, he's not breathing well, we need to do a breathing treatment on him!! "WHAT!!" I was in shock, how did I not realize my little boy wasn't breathing well! He was a little clingy that morning but he was playing and running around the house like normal!
So the doctor came in and said the same thing, let's get him going now. So they came in and did a breathing treatment and he was still having a hard time....so they ended up doing two more before sending us to the hospital!! Yup...the HOSPITAL!!! I was a nervous wreck! I called Jason and he said he would meet us there and to CALM DOWN! I felt so guilty for not realizing what was really going on.
So we get to the hospital about 2pm or so and they get him hooked up to an oxygen sensor thing and then hook him up to oxygen (not fun to watch your child have a oxygen tube on his face. You know what I'm talking about, it wraps around your head and goes into your nose. It was so pathetic!
So the\ nurses called a respiratory therapist and they again start breathing treatments. Oh...and after the first one, they hauled him off to another room (with mommy and daddy in tow) to get an IV started in his arm. He was screaming and just looking at us like "why are you letting them do this to me"....it was so sad, it took all I had to not break down and cry!
So after that, he started getting better. They started pumping him with steriods and fluids and he was like a kid on crack! He slowly got better!
We stayed Tuesday night and Wednesday night and finally left about 6pm on Thursday! It was a rough week but all in all he's getting back to normal. The doctor said she thinks it was just a severe respitory infection and he just got it bad this time. We have to keep giving him the breathing treatments for about a week then we can ween him off. He's taking it like a pro, thankfully!!
So our little guy is much better today....and we hope he'll just get better as the hours tick by!! So...anyone that has to have a toddler in the hospital, I feel for you, I really do. Not only does it break your heart but they get so bored and restless that it takes all the energy you have just to help make the time pass!!!
I took pictures of him on my cell phone, I'll try and see if I can upload them, they are kinda cute!!!
This entry was posted
on 10/10/2008 01:31:00 PM
.
You can leave a response
and follow any responses to this entry through the
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.
Wow Kelly. I am so sad to hear that but glad that he is getting better. Poor Tan Man in the hospital this week. He is such a good little man that I am sure he took it a lot better than most kids. Is he just receiving the breathing treatment for a little while and then he'll be fine? Or is this something that he is going to have to continue to do? You have had a crazy week. Tell Jason hello and give the tan man a hug from his favorite crazy April. Miss you guys!
Two nights in the hospital?!? I think they would've had to commit me as well...maybe to another ward! :)
Glad to hear Tanner is doing better. Doctors take that wheezing thing pretty seriously. Edie does it every time she gets croup, but now we have an inhaler for her. It's hard to explain to a two year old that it's for her own good when she looks at me like I'm kicking her when she's down. "What? Since I can't breathe, you are going to add to my misery! Thanks Mom!" Hang in there!
Lei-Lei